We welcome diversity and inclusion by making the safety and security of all transit customers a top priority.
In recent years, we have taken steps to ensure the safety and security of our transit system with measures such as:
- Participation in the “Safe Place” program to provide a secure zone for young people in need of immediate help and safety. Learn more about Safe Place below.
- On board video surveillance on every vehicle.
- KCMO transit police officers who quickly respond to incidents on buses and at bus stops with the ability to summon additional resources if needed.
- Daily police presence at the 10th and Main Transit Center downtown.
- Off-duty police officers to provide additional security throughout the transit system.
- Secret Rider program to monitor on board activity as a regular rider.
- District road supervisors available during hours of operation to respond to all incidents.
- Driver safety partitions in 100% of fleet enhance security for bus operators.
- Communication between RideKC headquarters and every bus, with the ability to make live announcements directly to a bus if a problem on board arises.
- Training for all operators including customer service, de-escalation and emergency management.
- Regular assessments of security operations with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
- Trespass Ban program to address passengers who repeatedly violate rules on the bus or commit offenses.
- Working with local social service providers to address passengers who are repeatedly disruptive due to substance abuse or mental illness.
More about Safe Place
Did you know all RideKC buses are designated Safe Place locations?
Safe Place is a national youth outreach and prevention program for young people under the age of 18 (up to 21 years of age in some communities) in need of immediate help and safety. As a collaborative community prevention initiative, Safe Place designates businesses and organizations as Safe Place locations, making help readily available to youth in communities across the country. Safe Place locations include: libraries, YMCAs, fire stations, public buses, various businesses, and social service facilities.